Flavorful Indian Vegetable Oats Upma Recipe - A Nutrient-Rich Breakfast Delight
Transform your morning routine with our Indian Vegetable Oats Upma recipe, a delectable blend of traditional flavors and modern health benefits. Packed with wholesome ingredients, this breakfast dish offers a delightful twist to the classic upma, making it a perfect choice for a nutritious and satisfying start to your day.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, corn, etc.)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped bell peppers
- 1/4 cup green beans, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups water
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Lemon wedges for serving
Serving Size & Cooking Time
Serves : 2
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time : 15 minutes
Calories 200 per serving
Protein : 6g
Carbohydrates : 35g
Fat : 4g
Stepwise Cooking Instructions
- Heat oil in a pan; add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Allow them to splutter.
- Add chopped onions and green chilies. Sauté until onions turn translucent.
- Mix in diced tomatoes and cook until they are soft and the oil starts separating.
- Add chopped bell peppers and green beans. Sauté for 23 minutes until they are slightly tender.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt. Stir well to coat the vegetables evenly.
- Pour in rolled oats and roast for 2 minutes, ensuring they are wellcoated with the spice mix.
- Add mixed vegetables and water. Stir and cover the pan, letting it simmer for 57 minutes until the oats are cooked and the mixture thickens.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve hot with lemon wedges on the side.
This Indian Vegetable Oats Upma is a nutritional powerhouse. Oats provide complex carbohydrates and fiber, while the assortment of vegetables adds vitamins and minerals, creating a wellrounded meal. It's a great option for those looking to kickstart their day with a healthy and fulfilling breakfast.
The vegetables in this recipe contribute essential micronutrients such as vitamin C, vitamin A, and potassium. These nutrients play a vital role in supporting immune function, maintaining healthy skin, and regulating blood pressure.
Incorporate this Indian Vegetable Oats Upma into your breakfast routine for a delicious and nutritious way to fuel your day.
- Texture Matters: Achieve the perfect texture by choosing rolled oats for a hearty and satisfying Indian Vegetable Oats Upma.
- Veggie Variety: Experiment with an array of colorful veggies to enhance both the visual appeal and nutritional content of your upma.
- Aroma Amplification: Infuse a touch of aromatic flavor by adding a pinch of asafoetida (hing) during the tempering process.
- Nutritional Boost: Sprinkle a handful of roasted flaxseeds or chia seeds before serving for an added dose of omega3 fatty acids and fiber.
- Customize Spice Levels: Adjust the red chili powder and green chilies to cater to your spice preferences for a personalized taste.
- Lemon Freshness: Squeeze fresh lemon juice just before serving to brighten up the flavors and add a citrusy zing to your upma.
- Garnish Creatively: Elevate the presentation by garnishing with pomegranate seeds or grated coconut, not only for aesthetics but also for added taste.
In conclusion, our Indian Vegetable Oats Upma recipe offers a delightful fusion of traditional Indian flavors and modern healthconscious choices. This quick and easy breakfast option ensures you start your day on a nutritious and delicious note. By incorporating this recipe into your routine, you not only satisfy your taste buds but also provide your body with the nourishment it deserves.
- Can I use instant oats instead of rolled oats?
While you can use instant oats, the texture may differ; rolled oats provide a heartier consistency.
- Is this recipe suitable for a vegan diet?
Absolutely! This Indian Vegetable Oats Upma recipe is entirely plantbased.
- Can I prepare the veggies the night before?
Yes, save time in the morning by chopping the vegetables the night before and storing them in the refrigerator.
- How can I make it more proteinrich?
Boost the protein content by adding cooked lentils or a dollop of Greek yogurt on top.
- Any substitute for mustard seeds if unavailable?
Cumin seeds can be a flavorful alternative to mustard seeds in the tempering process.
- Can I make a large batch for meal prep?
Certainly! This recipe is mealprep friendly and reheats well for a quick breakfast throughout the week.
- How do I prevent the oats from becoming mushy?
Avoid overcooking; once the oats are added, simmer for just the right amount of time to maintain a pleasant texture.